Sunday, February 10, 2008

Magnet Paint




Well a while back when I was trying to solve a way to mount things on the wall, when I came across a product that caught me eye, Magnetic Receptive Paint. Basically it is a paint that is impregnated with metal shards. And when you paint the paint on magnet will stick to it. This seemed like a great thing to me. We used to have these big metal boards up in the old studio and we filled them up completely. I liked the idea of the paint so we wouldn't be confined to the metal boards. And besides the metal boards were a hassle to mount.
The directions on the can say to do at least 3 coats, air drying between each coat. So I painted four coats. And then you paint your chosen wall color over it. This pretty much took me two coats to cover the very dark grey color of the magnetic receptive paint. Picture a black chalkboard, and that is what the color looks like.

Well the studio is all done except for final lights.
I will take some photos of what the walls look like finished. I have been a little disappointed, as for how well the magnets stick to the walls, I am using pretty hefty magnets thin paper works okay. Thick paper does not work well, nor does overlapping the paper, the magnets fall off. I have to be very careful when putting things on and it seems like a have to use a gazillion magnets since overlapping is not really an option.

I am going to invest in some super strong magnets, those seem to work with thick stuff.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What an interesting idea! I've never heard of that before. It would be great for a kid's room, too! Or a teenager... move your posters as much as you want, but doesn't destroy the walls!

Hi Octane Jewelry said...

Yes, I am trying to figure out where to put it in my daughters room. They even have whiteboard paint too

Georgia Peachez said...

I used that magnet paint on a wall in my kitchen. It has been disappointing, but it works. Most of the time. It was very expensive too! I should have just put up the metal boards, but oh well. Now it is done. It does keep the fridge clutter free! xo, suzy